Sony’s PlayStation 5 is now the fastest-selling hardware platform in history after just four months on the market, according to NPD (National Purchase Diary Panel Inc.) Group, a research firm.
The NPD Group released its monthly report giving details about best-selling Video Games and Consoles for February 2021 in the U.S. The Nintendo Switch leads the charge as the best-selling console for the month, with the PS5 in the second place. However, PS5 did overtake a record previously held by the Switch when it became the fastest-selling console in U.S. history after the NPD Group tracked “total dollar sales after four months in market.”
NPD Group analyst Mat Piscatella tweeted on Friday, the latest statistics on consumer video game spending, including that the PS5 is “currently the fastest selling hardware platform” in US history, in terms of total dollar sales.
The number of Switch’s Unit and Dollar Sales last month were the highest of any hardware platform in a February since the Nintendo Wii (WEE) back in February of 2009.
The consumer spending on video games has gone up in a big way. The February 2021 consumer spending across video game hardware, content and accessories has reached record USD 4.6 billion, 35% higher compared to year ago as per by NPD Group Report. Year-to-date spending is totaled to USD 9.3 billion, 39% higher as compared to the same period in 2020.
The monthly sales of hardware has also increased by 121% this February compared to last February for a total of $406 million.
In the US, the video game accessory spending has also reached $195 million in February 2021, which is 41% higher than last February.
The PS5 DualSense controller was the accessory with the most dollar sales for the February month.
On the software side of things-
- Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury took first place as the best-selling game for February 2021 in the U.S
- It’s also the second best-selling game of 2021, despite a lack digital sales tracking for Nintendo games, according to the NPD Group.
- Little Nightmares II, which debuted in February, was the sixth best-selling game of the month, fifth best-selling game on Xbox platforms, and 10th best-selling game on PlayStation platforms.
- Why is my gaming laptop overheating during gameplay?
- New OLED model announced for Nintendo Switch
- Crocs has partnered with Gen.G for Minecraft building contest
- Roblox partners with Sony Music Entertainment.
- Loki joins the Fortnite Crew
- Bacon Time partners with Auntys Haus.
- Innovation Esports Partners with British Basketball League
- Kazuya now available as DLC fighter in Super Smash Bros Ultimate
- Monster Energy partners with ESL Gaming
- GCN partners with Black Fire Innovation
- Best deals in Steam Summer Sale are out
- Fnatic partners with Kaspersky
- Gen.G Esports to collaborate with IMG Academy.
- daps returns as Head coach of Evil Geniuses
- w0xic looking for a new organization.
- Can GTX 1650 run Cyberpunk2077?
- Alpha Esports Tech partners with Mack Sporting Goods
- Rainbow Six Esports partners with Aim Lab
- Australian esports org, ORDER partners with Zoomph