Sony’s PlayStation 5 is now the fastest-selling hardware platform in history after just four months on the market, according to NPD (National Purchase Diary Panel Inc.) Group, a research firm.
The NPD Group released its monthly report giving details about best-selling Video Games and Consoles for February 2021 in the U.S. The Nintendo Switch leads the charge as the best-selling console for the month, with the PS5 in the second place. However, PS5 did overtake a record previously held by the Switch when it became the fastest-selling console in U.S. history after the NPD Group tracked “total dollar sales after four months in market.”
NPD Group analyst Mat Piscatella tweeted on Friday, the latest statistics on consumer video game spending, including that the PS5 is “currently the fastest selling hardware platform” in US history, in terms of total dollar sales.
The number of Switch’s Unit and Dollar Sales last month were the highest of any hardware platform in a February since the Nintendo Wii (WEE) back in February of 2009.
The consumer spending on video games has gone up in a big way. The February 2021 consumer spending across video game hardware, content and accessories has reached record USD 4.6 billion, 35% higher compared to year ago as per by NPD Group Report. Year-to-date spending is totaled to USD 9.3 billion, 39% higher as compared to the same period in 2020.
The monthly sales of hardware has also increased by 121% this February compared to last February for a total of $406 million.
In the US, the video game accessory spending has also reached $195 million in February 2021, which is 41% higher than last February.
The PS5 DualSense controller was the accessory with the most dollar sales for the February month.
On the software side of things-
- Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury took first place as the best-selling game for February 2021 in the U.S
- It’s also the second best-selling game of 2021, despite a lack digital sales tracking for Nintendo games, according to the NPD Group.
- Little Nightmares II, which debuted in February, was the sixth best-selling game of the month, fifth best-selling game on Xbox platforms, and 10th best-selling game on PlayStation platforms.
- Mysterious update Released for Nintendo Switch.
- Xbox Game Pass Adds New Games Including Fable, MLB The Show 21
- Razer Invitational 2021 Tournament Announced for North America
- Sony Will Continue Selling PS3 and Vita Games
- PUBG Continental Series 4 (PCS4) Announced Across Americas, Asia, Asia/ Pacific and Europe
- Gaming Influencers Must Pay Close Attention, As Laws Catches Up To The Digital Age
- PS4 – Death of Clock Battery Will Stop You Playing Games
- OFFSET Esports partners with devolo for CS:GO bootcamp
- Levi’s Partners With NRG Esports
- University of Kentucky, Gen.G and ISA Join Hands To Launch Student Exchange Programme in South Korea
- Betway Partners with MIBR’s Female CS:GO team
- Singleton Foundation Join Hands with CSL Esports
- GHOST Gamer – the Official Esports Partner of GNC
- PS5 Introduces Loads of New Stuff in Its First Update
- Peripheral Brand ROCCAT Announces Partnership with Gen.G
- CLG Partners With Samsung Electronics
- CS:GO – Flashpoint Series Returning For Third Iteration
- BLAST Premier Announces Media Rights Deals for 2021
- PC Company Cooler Master Partners with LATAM Crew